1. Counting to 40 Related Standard: Count to 100 by ones and by tens.
Activities: 1) Create a "hundred's chart" 1-40 by gluing numbers written on squares of paper in numerical order onto a graph containing 40 spaces.
2) Practice counting to 40 by 1 & by 10 using chart.
3) Practice counting 40 things in the house (noodles, craft sticks)
2. Identifying cube, cylinder, sphere
Related Standard: Correctly name shapes regardless of orientation/overall size.
Activities: 1) Shape hunt. After cube, cylinder, and sphere will be displayed and features of each discussed, we will search the house to find 3 things for each shape.
2) Practice identifying shapes using www.ixl.com.
3) Practice identifying shapes using www.smarttutor.com.
1. Read and create "at" words
Related Standards: Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words. Recognize and produce rhyming words. Add or substitute individual sounds (phonemes) in simple, one syllable words to make new words.
Activities: 1) Read the book -at as in cat.
2) Use fridge magnets to create -at words.
2. Read text for meaning
Related Standards: Read emergent-reader texts with purpose and understanding. With prompting and support, ask and answer questions about key details in a text. With prompting and support, identify characters, settings, and major events in a story.
Activities: 1) Read Diego's Birthday Surprise and answer questions about plot, characters, setting, and major details.
2) Practice answering comprehension questions using www.smarttutor.com.
1. Legibly writing name
Related Standard: Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking. Print many upper- and lowercase letters.
Activities: 1) Practice tracing name with finger paints.
2) Practice tracing name with crayons/pencil.
3) Connect the dots to write name.
1. Identify stages of life cycle of butterfly
Related Standard: Students identify, analyze, and use patterns such as cycles and trends to understand past and present events and predict possible future events.
Activities: 1) Listen to the book Waiting for Wings read aloud.
2) Create Symmetrical Glob Art Butterfly. Fold an 8.5" x 11" paper in half. Apply a few globs of glue to one side of the paper. Press together at fold to create symmetrical design. After it dries, cut into the shape of butterfly.
3) Cocoon Surprise. Create caterpillar with pom poms. Tuck caterpillar into cocoon made from toilet paper roll and brown construction paper. When child is not around, replace caterpillar with butterfly made from tissue paper and pipe cleaner. Have child open cocoon and find that the caterpillar has changed into a butterfly!
4) Listen to the books: Hermie: A Common Caterpillar, Becoming Butterflies, & Butterfly Count
1. Identify September as a month of the year
Activities: 1) Listen to book September read aloud.
2) Flip through calendar and recite months of the year in order.
3) Identify important events in September (i.e. Sister's birthday)
4) Watch video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5enDRrWyXaw